Labour absorbs the worst council result in a generation as Reform UK reshapes English local government and Plaid Cymru takes Wales
Labour MP Catherine West warned she will collect signatures Monday for a leadership contest against Keir Starmer unless a cabinet challenger emerges, after Labour shed more than 1,400 English council seats and First Minister Eluned Morgan's Senedd seat. Reform UK swept Essex, took Calderdale, Wakefield, Leeds and Barnsley — ending 50+ years of Labour rule there — and tied with Labour on 17 MSPs in Scotland. Plaid Cymru's Rhun ap Iorwerth is poised to become Welsh first minister; Starmer named Gordon Brown and Harriet Harman as advisers.
Top Stories
Labour MP Catherine West threatens to collect signatures for a leadership contest by Monday after Starmer loses 1,400 council seats
Catherine West, Labour MP for Hornsey and Friern Barnet and a former junior Foreign Office minister, told the BBC's PM programme she will start collecting signatures from the Parliamentary Labour Party on Monday morning to trigger a leadership contest if no cabinet challenger to Keir Starmer has emerged. Her preferred outcome, she said, is a cabinet reshuffle that moves Starmer to an "international role." Labour has lost more than 1,400 English council representatives, control of Bradford, Calderdale, Wakefield, Leeds and Barnsley — the latter ending more than 50 years of Labour rule — and First Minister Eluned Morgan's Senedd seat in Wales, where Ken Skates has taken over as interim leader.
UK PM Starmer appoints Gordon Brown and Harriet Harman as advisers amid Labour election losses
UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer has appointed former prime minister Gordon Brown as envoy on global finance and former deputy leader Harriet Harman as adviser on women and girls, in a move to shore up support after Labour suffered historic losses in local and regional elections. Labour lost more than 1,400 council seats in England and fell to third place in the Welsh Senedd, its worst result in Wales in a century. Several Labour MPs have called on Starmer to set a timetable for his departure, though he has rejected resignation demands.
Reform UK gains over 1,400 councillors in historic local election wins across Britain
Reform UK has secured more than 1,400 council seats across England, swept Essex County Council, and finished second in the Welsh Parliament elections behind Plaid Cymru. The party also tied with Labour for second place in Scotland with 17 MSPs each. Home affairs spokesman Zia Yusuf said the party would "welcome scrutiny" and not take voters for granted.
Over 200,000 migrants have crossed English Channel in small boats since 2018
More than 200,000 migrants have crossed the English Channel in small boats since records began in 2018, the Home Office confirmed on Friday after 70 people arrived on one boat. The milestone comes as successive UK governments have failed to stem the flow, with annual crossings more than doubling in the last three years. At least eight migrants have died attempting the crossing this year, according to the UN's International Organization for Migration and French authorities.
All Events
Every other event tracked in United Kingdom, with a one-line preview.
gb38UK deploys destroyer HMS Dragon to Middle East for potential Strait of Hormuz mission
The United Kingdom is deploying the Type 45 destroyer HMS Dragon to the Middle East to pre-position for a potential multinational mission to protect commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. The mission, jointly led by the UK and France, is described as strictly defensive and will only commence after hostilities in the region end. The deployment follows heightened tensions after US and Israeli strikes on Iran, Tehran's closure of the strait, and a fragile ceasefire mediated by Pakistan. HMS Dragon was previously stationed in the eastern Mediterranean defending British bases on Cyprus.
Show summaryHide
UK deploys destroyer HMS Dragon to Middle East for potential Strait of Hormuz mission
The United Kingdom is deploying the Type 45 destroyer HMS Dragon to the Middle East to pre-position for a potential multinational mission to protect commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. The mission, jointly led by the UK and France, is described as strictly defensive and will only commence after hostilities in the region end. The deployment follows heightened tensions after US and Israeli strikes on Iran, Tehran's closure of the strait, and a fragile ceasefire mediated by Pakistan. HMS Dragon was previously stationed in the eastern Mediterranean defending British bases on Cyprus.
The United Kingdom is deploying the Type 45 destroyer HMS Dragon to the Middle East to pre-position for a potential multinational mission to protect commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. The mission, jointly led by the UK and France, is described as strictly defensive and will only commence after hostilities in the region end. The deployment follows heightened tensions after US and Israeli strikes on Iran, Tehran's closure of the strait, and a fragile ceasefire mediated by Pakistan. HMS Dragon was previously stationed in the eastern Mediterranean defending British bases on Cyprus.
gb36Reform UK takes control of Barnsley council, ending 50 years of Labour rule
Reform UK won control of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in South Yorkshire, ending 50 years of Labour dominance. Voters cited a desire for change, feeling abandoned by Labour, and dissatisfaction with Prime Minister Keir Starmer. The result highlights Labour's declining support in its traditional heartlands.
Show summaryHide
Reform UK takes control of Barnsley council, ending 50 years of Labour rule
Reform UK won control of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in South Yorkshire, ending 50 years of Labour dominance. Voters cited a desire for change, feeling abandoned by Labour, and dissatisfaction with Prime Minister Keir Starmer. The result highlights Labour's declining support in its traditional heartlands.
Reform UK won control of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in South Yorkshire, ending 50 years of Labour dominance. Voters cited a desire for change, feeling abandoned by Labour, and dissatisfaction with Prime Minister Keir Starmer. The result highlights Labour's declining support in its traditional heartlands.
gb34Plaid Cymru's Rhun ap Iorwerth poised to become Welsh first minister after historic election
Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth is set to become Wales' first Plaid Cymru first minister after a highly successful Welsh Parliament election, ending a century of Labour dominance. Ap Iorwerth, a former BBC journalist, took over a party in disarray in 2023 and campaigned on Labour's failure to stand up for Wales. His party's success was bolstered by a strategy to pull Labour voters away from Reform UK. The result marks a major shift in Welsh politics.
Show summaryHide
Plaid Cymru's Rhun ap Iorwerth poised to become Welsh first minister after historic election
Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth is set to become Wales' first Plaid Cymru first minister after a highly successful Welsh Parliament election, ending a century of Labour dominance. Ap Iorwerth, a former BBC journalist, took over a party in disarray in 2023 and campaigned on Labour's failure to stand up for Wales. His party's success was bolstered by a strategy to pull Labour voters away from Reform UK. The result marks a major shift in Welsh politics.
Plaid Cymru leader Rhun ap Iorwerth is set to become Wales' first Plaid Cymru first minister after a highly successful Welsh Parliament election, ending a century of Labour dominance. Ap Iorwerth, a former BBC journalist, took over a party in disarray in 2023 and campaigned on Labour's failure to stand up for Wales. His party's success was bolstered by a strategy to pull Labour voters away from Reform UK. The result marks a major shift in Welsh politics.
gb30SNP leader John Swinney rules out Holyrood talks with Reform UK
SNP leader John Swinney has ruled out negotiations with Reform UK as his party seeks to form a government after winning a fifth consecutive Holyrood election but falling seven seats short of a majority. Swinney will invite leaders of all other Holyrood parties for talks except Reform, citing the need to 'Farage-proof' the Scottish Parliament. Reform's leader in Scotland, Malcolm Offord, accused Swinney of being 'arrogant, petty and deeply undemocratic'. The SNP's vote share fell significantly compared to 2021, and the combined pro-independence vote was just over 40%.
Show summaryHide
SNP leader John Swinney rules out Holyrood talks with Reform UK
SNP leader John Swinney has ruled out negotiations with Reform UK as his party seeks to form a government after winning a fifth consecutive Holyrood election but falling seven seats short of a majority. Swinney will invite leaders of all other Holyrood parties for talks except Reform, citing the need to 'Farage-proof' the Scottish Parliament. Reform's leader in Scotland, Malcolm Offord, accused Swinney of being 'arrogant, petty and deeply undemocratic'. The SNP's vote share fell significantly compared to 2021, and the combined pro-independence vote was just over 40%.
SNP leader John Swinney has ruled out negotiations with Reform UK as his party seeks to form a government after winning a fifth consecutive Holyrood election but falling seven seats short of a majority. Swinney will invite leaders of all other Holyrood parties for talks except Reform, citing the need to 'Farage-proof' the Scottish Parliament. Reform's leader in Scotland, Malcolm Offord, accused Swinney of being 'arrogant, petty and deeply undemocratic'. The SNP's vote share fell significantly compared to 2021, and the combined pro-independence vote was just over 40%.
gb23Two men charged with antisemitic harassment after filming TikTok videos in London
Two men, Adam Bedoui and Abdelkadir Amir Bousloub, have been charged with religiously aggravated harassment after allegedly traveling to Stamford Hill, a predominantly Jewish area of London, to film antisemitic TikTok videos. They approached, harassed, and filmed Jewish people for social media content. The Crown Prosecution Service and Metropolitan Police investigated the incident, and the suspects have been remanded in custody pending a court appearance.
Show summaryHide
Two men charged with antisemitic harassment after filming TikTok videos in London
Two men, Adam Bedoui and Abdelkadir Amir Bousloub, have been charged with religiously aggravated harassment after allegedly traveling to Stamford Hill, a predominantly Jewish area of London, to film antisemitic TikTok videos. They approached, harassed, and filmed Jewish people for social media content. The Crown Prosecution Service and Metropolitan Police investigated the incident, and the suspects have been remanded in custody pending a court appearance.
Two men, Adam Bedoui and Abdelkadir Amir Bousloub, have been charged with religiously aggravated harassment after allegedly traveling to Stamford Hill, a predominantly Jewish area of London, to film antisemitic TikTok videos. They approached, harassed, and filmed Jewish people for social media content. The Crown Prosecution Service and Metropolitan Police investigated the incident, and the suspects have been remanded in custody pending a court appearance.
gb15Gordon Brown returns to Number 10 as global finance envoy
Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been appointed as a global finance envoy, returning to 10 Downing Street. The role involves addressing international financial challenges, likely related to global economic stability and development finance.
Show summaryHide
Gordon Brown returns to Number 10 as global finance envoy
Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been appointed as a global finance envoy, returning to 10 Downing Street. The role involves addressing international financial challenges, likely related to global economic stability and development finance.
Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been appointed as a global finance envoy, returning to 10 Downing Street. The role involves addressing international financial challenges, likely related to global economic stability and development finance.
gb8British troops receive medals for Kosovo deployment
Soldiers from C Squadron, Household Cavalry Regiment, were presented with medals at the Royal Hospital Chelsea on 27 April 2026, marking the end of a six-month deployment to Kosovo on Operation ELGIN 17. The 42-strong unit served as the UK Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Task Unit under NATO's Kosovo Force (KFOR), operating in challenging winter conditions. The deployment underscores the UK's continued commitment to KFOR, which has been extended until at least 2028 as part of NATO's collective security framework in the region.
Show summaryHide
British troops receive medals for Kosovo deployment
Soldiers from C Squadron, Household Cavalry Regiment, were presented with medals at the Royal Hospital Chelsea on 27 April 2026, marking the end of a six-month deployment to Kosovo on Operation ELGIN 17. The 42-strong unit served as the UK Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Task Unit under NATO's Kosovo Force (KFOR), operating in challenging winter conditions. The deployment underscores the UK's continued commitment to KFOR, which has been extended until at least 2028 as part of NATO's collective security framework in the region.
Soldiers from C Squadron, Household Cavalry Regiment, were presented with medals at the Royal Hospital Chelsea on 27 April 2026, marking the end of a six-month deployment to Kosovo on Operation ELGIN 17. The 42-strong unit served as the UK Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Task Unit under NATO's Kosovo Force (KFOR), operating in challenging winter conditions. The deployment underscores the UK's continued commitment to KFOR, which has been extended until at least 2028 as part of NATO's collective security framework in the region.