Attal opens the 2027 race as Macron asserts hantavirus control from Nairobi
Gabriel Attal opened the 2027 race with a book detailing how Macron called the 2024 snap election by phone an hour before the televised address, then secured a 91% Renaissance National Council endorsement after Elisabeth Borne resigned the chair. Macron, closing the Africa Forward summit in Nairobi, said France's 22-contact hantavirus outbreak — origin: the MV Hondius — was "under control" while ECDC director Pamela Rendi-Wagner pushed back on PM Sébastien Lecornu's call for more coordination; Macron also criticised Mali's junta, signalled reservations on US Rwanda sanctions, and named reopening the Strait of Hormuz France's "absolute priority" for the G7 it hosts in June.
Top Stories
France reports 22 hantavirus contacts, one patient in intensive care; government stresses transparency
France reported 22 contact cases of hantavirus on May 13, with one patient in intensive care, as the government adopted a strategy of transparency to avoid public panic. Many French people expressed reassurance, citing experience from the coronavirus pandemic, though some said they would consider wearing masks again. Opinion specialist Emmanuel Rivière said transparency is key to treating citizens as adults.
Former French PM Attal launches presidential campaign with book revealing Macron's snap election decision
Gabriel Attal, France's former prime minister, published a book on Tuesday detailing a conversation with President Emmanuel Macron five days before the 2024 European election, in which Macron rejected Attal's proposals for a cabinet reshuffle or referendums and later announced snap parliamentary elections by phone an hour before a televised address. The book marks Attal's formal entry into the 2027 presidential race, positioning him as a candidate while breaking with his former mentor.
Renaissance party endorses Attal for 2027 presidential bid, Borne resigns as council chair
Former prime minister Gabriel Attal won a formal endorsement from the Renaissance party's National Council on Tuesday evening, with 91% of votes backing his 2027 presidential candidacy. The motion calls on Attal, the party's secretary-general, to declare his bid by 1 October, pending a membership vote. The endorsement came after Elisabeth Borne resigned as council chair last week, citing disagreement with Attal's political direction.
Macron defends Africa record, criticizes Mali junta and US sanctions on Rwanda
French President Emmanuel Macron said he is 'incredibly proud' of his record on Africa, hailing a shift toward a 'partnership of equals' as he spoke to RFI at the close of the Africa Forward summit in Nairobi, Kenya, on Tuesday. He criticized Mali's junta for allying with Russian militias and expressed reservations about following US sanctions on Rwanda over the conflict in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Macron also called for peace efforts in Sudan and said reopening the Strait of Hormuz would be France's 'absolute priority' when it hosts G7 leaders in June.
All Events
Every other event tracked in France, with a one-line preview.
fr39ECDC defends EU cooperation on hantavirus outbreak amid French criticism
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) chief Pamela Rendi-Wagner defended EU cooperation on the hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius, which has caused 11 confirmed cases and 3 deaths. This follows French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu's call for stronger coordination. The ECDC is taking a cautious approach, warning of potential asymptomatic transmission, contrary to the U.S. CDC's stance. EU ambassadors are set to discuss a joint strategy.
Show summaryHide
ECDC defends EU cooperation on hantavirus outbreak amid French criticism
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) chief Pamela Rendi-Wagner defended EU cooperation on the hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius, which has caused 11 confirmed cases and 3 deaths. This follows French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu's call for stronger coordination. The ECDC is taking a cautious approach, warning of potential asymptomatic transmission, contrary to the U.S. CDC's stance. EU ambassadors are set to discuss a joint strategy.
The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) chief Pamela Rendi-Wagner defended EU cooperation on the hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius, which has caused 11 confirmed cases and 3 deaths. This follows French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu's call for stronger coordination. The ECDC is taking a cautious approach, warning of potential asymptomatic transmission, contrary to the U.S. CDC's stance. EU ambassadors are set to discuss a joint strategy.
fr33French Justice Minister Scales Back Guilty-Plea Reform After Lacking Majority
French Justice Minister Gérald Darmanin announced on May 13 that he is scaling back his proposed criminal guilty-plea reform, excluding all sexual crimes and all crimes triable by assize court. He cited the lack of a parliamentary majority for the original measure, following opposition from lawyers and public criticism. The reform was intended to accelerate case processing but faced significant pushback.
Show summaryHide
French Justice Minister Scales Back Guilty-Plea Reform After Lacking Majority
French Justice Minister Gérald Darmanin announced on May 13 that he is scaling back his proposed criminal guilty-plea reform, excluding all sexual crimes and all crimes triable by assize court. He cited the lack of a parliamentary majority for the original measure, following opposition from lawyers and public criticism. The reform was intended to accelerate case processing but faced significant pushback.
French Justice Minister Gérald Darmanin announced on May 13 that he is scaling back his proposed criminal guilty-plea reform, excluding all sexual crimes and all crimes triable by assize court. He cited the lack of a parliamentary majority for the original measure, following opposition from lawyers and public criticism. The reform was intended to accelerate case processing but faced significant pushback.
fr30UN torture watchdog to conduct first inspection of French detention facilities
The UN Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture will conduct its first visit to France from 17 to 23 May to inspect detention conditions in prisons, police custody, psychiatric institutions, and administrative detention centers. The visit follows France's 2008 ratification of the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and comes amid record prison overcrowding, with 88,145 inmates as of April 2026, raising concerns about detention conditions and human rights safeguards.
Show summaryHide
UN torture watchdog to conduct first inspection of French detention facilities
The UN Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture will conduct its first visit to France from 17 to 23 May to inspect detention conditions in prisons, police custody, psychiatric institutions, and administrative detention centers. The visit follows France's 2008 ratification of the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and comes amid record prison overcrowding, with 88,145 inmates as of April 2026, raising concerns about detention conditions and human rights safeguards.
The UN Subcommittee on Prevention of Torture will conduct its first visit to France from 17 to 23 May to inspect detention conditions in prisons, police custody, psychiatric institutions, and administrative detention centers. The visit follows France's 2008 ratification of the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and comes amid record prison overcrowding, with 88,145 inmates as of April 2026, raising concerns about detention conditions and human rights safeguards.
fr28Kenyan President Ruto condemns both sides in Sudan war at Africa Forward summit
At the Africa Forward summit in Nairobi, Kenyan President William Ruto publicly criticized both the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) for the devastation in Sudan, stating they are 'cut from the same cloth' and have 'taken the country to the dogs.' He rejected claims of siding with the RSF. The summit also saw French President Emmanuel Macron announce new investments in Africa's energy transition, digital, and AI sectors.
Show summaryHide
Kenyan President Ruto condemns both sides in Sudan war at Africa Forward summit
At the Africa Forward summit in Nairobi, Kenyan President William Ruto publicly criticized both the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) for the devastation in Sudan, stating they are 'cut from the same cloth' and have 'taken the country to the dogs.' He rejected claims of siding with the RSF. The summit also saw French President Emmanuel Macron announce new investments in Africa's energy transition, digital, and AI sectors.
At the Africa Forward summit in Nairobi, Kenyan President William Ruto publicly criticized both the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) for the devastation in Sudan, stating they are 'cut from the same cloth' and have 'taken the country to the dogs.' He rejected claims of siding with the RSF. The summit also saw French President Emmanuel Macron announce new investments in Africa's energy transition, digital, and AI sectors.
fr25France launches online fuel aid simulator, applications open May 27
The French government previously announced a €50 fuel aid for low-income commuters. On May 13, Minister David Amiel confirmed on France 2 that an online eligibility simulator is now live on impots.gouv.fr, with formal applications opening May 27. The aid targets workers who depend on cars for commuting, with income under €16,880 and daily commute under 15 km, amid rising fuel prices linked to geopolitical tensions. Amiel also noted broader economic impacts, including a 0.2% rise in unemployment to 8.1% in Q1 2026, and reiterated that the aid is temporary, targeted, and financed without increasing the deficit.
Show summaryHide
France launches online fuel aid simulator, applications open May 27
The French government previously announced a €50 fuel aid for low-income commuters. On May 13, Minister David Amiel confirmed on France 2 that an online eligibility simulator is now live on impots.gouv.fr, with formal applications opening May 27. The aid targets workers who depend on cars for commuting, with income under €16,880 and daily commute under 15 km, amid rising fuel prices linked to geopolitical tensions. Amiel also noted broader economic impacts, including a 0.2% rise in unemployment to 8.1% in Q1 2026, and reiterated that the aid is temporary, targeted, and financed without increasing the deficit.
The French government previously announced a €50 fuel aid for low-income commuters. On May 13, Minister David Amiel confirmed on France 2 that an online eligibility simulator is now live on impots.gouv.fr, with formal applications opening May 27. The aid targets workers who depend on cars for commuting, with income under €16,880 and daily commute under 15 km, amid rising fuel prices linked to geopolitical tensions. Amiel also noted broader economic impacts, including a 0.2% rise in unemployment to 8.1% in Q1 2026, and reiterated that the aid is temporary, targeted, and financed without increasing the deficit.
fr23Tunisian appeals court upholds 3.5-year sentence for journalist Mourad Zeghidi
On May 12, 2025, a Tunisian appeals court confirmed the 3.5-year prison sentence for Franco-Tunisian journalist Mourad Zeghidi, who was convicted of money laundering and tax evasion. Zeghidi, a former Canal+ contributor, has been detained since May 2024. The verdict was delivered in the absence of his family and lawyers, who denounce it as judicial harassment, highlighting concerns over judicial independence in Tunisia.
Show summaryHide
Tunisian appeals court upholds 3.5-year sentence for journalist Mourad Zeghidi
On May 12, 2025, a Tunisian appeals court confirmed the 3.5-year prison sentence for Franco-Tunisian journalist Mourad Zeghidi, who was convicted of money laundering and tax evasion. Zeghidi, a former Canal+ contributor, has been detained since May 2024. The verdict was delivered in the absence of his family and lawyers, who denounce it as judicial harassment, highlighting concerns over judicial independence in Tunisia.
On May 12, 2025, a Tunisian appeals court confirmed the 3.5-year prison sentence for Franco-Tunisian journalist Mourad Zeghidi, who was convicted of money laundering and tax evasion. Zeghidi, a former Canal+ contributor, has been detained since May 2024. The verdict was delivered in the absence of his family and lawyers, who denounce it as judicial harassment, highlighting concerns over judicial independence in Tunisia.
fr15Jean-Yves Le Drian Hails Africa Forward Summit as Success
Former French minister Jean-Yves Le Drian declared the Africa Forward summit, co-organized by France and Kenya, a success, emphasizing its role in fostering Africa-Europe cooperation. He also noted an interruption by President Macron during a speech, who called for silence during participant interventions.
Show summaryHide
Jean-Yves Le Drian Hails Africa Forward Summit as Success
Former French minister Jean-Yves Le Drian declared the Africa Forward summit, co-organized by France and Kenya, a success, emphasizing its role in fostering Africa-Europe cooperation. He also noted an interruption by President Macron during a speech, who called for silence during participant interventions.
Former French minister Jean-Yves Le Drian declared the Africa Forward summit, co-organized by France and Kenya, a success, emphasizing its role in fostering Africa-Europe cooperation. He also noted an interruption by President Macron during a speech, who called for silence during participant interventions.