Western Ministers Back Kyiv Truce as Russia Bombs Civilians
A Western coalition of foreign ministers and the US Congressional Ukraine Caucus backed Kyiv's call for an unconditional ceasefire from May 5–6, urging Moscow to accept rather than wait for its May 8–9 Victory Day pause; Russia resumed airstrikes from the first hours of May 6. Russian strikes killed at least 14 across Donetsk and Dnipropetrovsk — six in Kramatorsk, four in a Dnipro grocery distribution centre. Mykhailo Fedorov said Russia had lost more troops than it could replace for a fifth month, and Ukrainian drones pushed Russia's oil-sector losses past $7 billion since January.
The day's central note was diplomatic, and its counter-fact was a fresh Russian missile run. Foreign ministers from Germany, Sweden, Belgium, Finland, Spain, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Malta and Norway, joined by the four co-chairs of the bipartisan Congressional Ukraine Caucus — Marcy Kaptur, Brian Fitzpatrick, Mike Quigley and Joe Wilson — endorsed President Volodymyr Zelensky's call for an immediate, unconditional ceasefire from the night of May 5–6, pressing Moscow to accept rather than wait for its own self-declared May 8–9 truce around Victory Day. Belgian foreign minister Maxime Prévot dismissed Russia's offer as "a PR exercise"; Lithuania's Kęstutis Budrys said any truce "cannot be dictated by the calendar of Russia's war-glorifying parade." Norway's foreign ministry said via X that "there is nothing to wait for. Russia can at any point end this war by ceasing to attack Ukraine and its civilians." Germany's Johann Wadephul urged Moscow to begin the truce "already tonight." Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said Vladimir Putin "cares about parades, not human lives." Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico is still expected in Moscow on May 9, although he has said he will not attend Putin's parade.
The Ukrainian Air Force reported Russia had resumed airstrikes from the first hours of May 6. The previous day's record was already heavy. Donetsk regional governor Vadym Filashkin said six people were killed and 14 injured across the oblast on May 5, including six dead and 13 wounded in Kramatorsk, where three high-explosive aerial bombs hit the city centre. Filashkin's running tally for the region stands at 4,053 killed and 9,394 injured, excluding Mariupol and Volnovakha. In Dnipro the same evening, a Russian strike on a Varus grocery distribution centre killed four staff members and seriously injured others — the chain's co-owner called the loss "irreparable" — while a separate blast damaged the workshops of the Zoria Publishing House, the second time the site has been hit; the city total reached four killed and 19 injured, with four men aged 23, 33, 44 and 52 in critical condition. Drone attacks across Kharkiv and surrounding settlements over May 5–6 injured at least 22 more people.
Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov said Russia had been losing more troops than it could replace for five consecutive months, calling it the "mathematics of war." Ukraine's tally listed Russia's spring advance shrinking 60 percent while Ukrainian deep-strike sorties multiplied six-fold over 10 months. Ukrainian drones struck the VNIIR-Progress plant in Cheboksary, which makes GPS components for Shahed drones and glide bombs, and hit the Tuapse oil refinery four times in one month. Long-range drone strikes have cost Russia at least $7 billion in oil-sector losses since January 2026; the ATESH guerrilla movement reports that cadets from the Penza Artillery Institute are being deployed into mobile units to defend oil depots because existing Russian air defences cannot keep up. The International Energy Agency noted Russian oil exports rose in March 2026, with the impact of April's strikes still being measured.
Multiple explosions across occupied Crimea damaged an FSB border service building in Armiansk and destroyed a Pantsir air defence system in Myrne, with further blasts reported near Kacha and Belbek airfields and in the Bakhchysarai and Saky districts.
In Russian-occupied Oleshky in Kherson oblast, civilians remain trapped by mines, destroyed bridges and ongoing crossfire amid severe shortages of food and medicine; Ukraine's human rights commissioner warned of a humanitarian crisis along the heavily mined "Road of Death," where evacuations are rare. Truth Hounds documented 401 attacks on Ukrainian emergency responders between February 24, 2022 and October 31, 2025 — 43 killed and 258 injured — concentrated in Donetsk, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk and Kherson, and including double-tap and drone strikes that may constitute war crimes; a recent attack on a gas facility in Poltava region killed two rescuers and three Naftogaz employees.
The Congressional Ukraine Caucus framed the choice for the Kremlin in stark terms: "A ceasefire cannot be selective, conditional, or timed for political convenience. It must be real, verifiable, and honored in good faith." OSCE Parliamentary Assembly President Pere Joan Pons and Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly President Petra Bayr also endorsed Zelensky's appeal.
Sources
- kyivpost.com https://www.kyivpost.com/post/75498
- ukrinform.net https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-polytics/4120128-wadephul-calls-on-russia-to-accept-ukraines-ceasefire-proposal.html
- pravda.com.ua https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2026/05/06/8033375/
- euromaidanpress.com https://euromaidanpress.com/2026/05/06/russo-ukrainian-war-day-1532-russia-is-losing-troops-faster-than-it-can-replace-them-for-fifth-month-in-row/
Lead Stories
- Western governments and US Congress back Ukraine's immediate ceasefire as Russia resumes strikes
- Russian strikes kill six, wound 14 in Donetsk region
- Russian drone and missile strikes across Kharkiv and Dnipropetrovsk oblasts kill four, injure dozens
- Ukraine reports Russia losing troops faster than replacements for fifth month; strikes on Cheboksary plant and Tuapse refinery