us United States ·

Iran Impasse Hardens Around $29B Pentagon Plan

Trump told BFMTV Iran faces 'very tough times' if Pakistan-mediated talks fail, as the Pentagon priced the war at $29 billion (up $4B in two weeks) and readied a joint US-Israeli air campaign; intelligence shows Iran has restored 30 of 33 Hormuz launchpads. Speaker Mike Johnson warned high gas prices threaten GOP midterms while Russian envoy Mikhail Ulyanov and Qatar/Saudi foreign ministers urged restraint. Trump advisers separately fear Xi could move on Taiwan within five years; federal officials are scrambling for counter-drone gear before the 12 June Inglewood World Cup opener.

The centre of gravity for Washington today is again Tehran. In a BFMTV interview, President Donald Trump warned that if Pakistan-mediated negotiations on a 14-point memorandum of understanding collapse, Iran faces "very tough times, very tough times. They'd better make a deal." The current draft asks Tehran to relax its grip on the Strait of Hormuz and relocate its highly enriched uranium stocks abroad in exchange for a 30-day easing of the US naval blockade — terms hardened by the IRGC's threat of large-scale missile strikes on US bases after the Navy's interception of two blockaded Iranian oil tankers. The Pentagon now puts the war's bill at $29 billion, a $4 billion jump in two weeks from Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth's $25 billion congressional figure, and has finalised an "escalation plan" that could reactivate the suspended joint US-Israeli air campaign within a week using hundreds of aircraft and two carrier strike groups, with contingency scripts for a special-forces raid on Isfahan and a US Marine amphibious assault on Kharg Island. Classified intelligence shows Iran has restored 30 of 33 missile launchpad positions along Hormuz and retains roughly 70% of its ballistic inventory — a direct contradiction of earlier White House claims that Tehran had been decimated.

The same impasse has carved an open rift inside the administration. The Pentagon's escalation camp is pulling against a diplomatic camp around Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who told reporters Washington is "aggressively pushing for a clear diplomatic solution because American military resources are finite and must be balanced with critical parallel security priorities." The rift sharpened after Trump's Beijing summit with Xi Jinping produced no breakthrough that could pull Chinese economic leverage off Tehran. A former US lawmaker has separately circulated three priorities for regaining leverage — sanctions enforcement, sea-lane reopening and rebuilding deterrence against future IRGC moves — language that has begun to filter into administration debates.

External diplomacy is moving in parallel. Russian envoy Mikhail Ulyanov publicly warned that renewed US or Israeli strikes on Iran would show Washington and Jerusalem "have not learned from past strikes." Qatari and Saudi foreign ministers coordinated separately with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on ceasefire architecture and Strait of Hormuz logistics, with Doha and Riyadh now openly central to messaging between the two capitals. FIFA held what it described as "constructive" talks with Iran on World Cup participation; the same readouts noted Israeli strikes hit Lebanon overnight despite the existing ceasefire, and Iraq's new prime minister Ali al-Zaidi formally assumed office while Nakba commemorations and protests rolled across European capitals.

Iran is also rewriting the midterm political map. House Speaker Mike Johnson, on Fox News Sunday, warned that high gas prices driven by the conflict threaten Republican midterm prospects, conceding that the Hormuz closure has dampened the GOP's affordability messaging; Johnson projected that the strait would reopen by the summer, in line with the timetable Washington needs for prices to ease before October. The political cost is the unstated subtext of the Pentagon's planning urgency.

The second distinct strand of the day is Taiwan. Some close advisers to Trump have concluded — privately and now leaking on the record — that the most substantive result of the China summit was a heightened danger that Xi Jinping will invade Taiwan within five years, potentially choking off the advanced chips US companies depend on for AI. One adviser characterised the trip as a signal of weakness that has tightened Beijing's window of opportunity. Taiwan-watching has not displaced Iran on the daily news cycle, but it has hardened a planning timeline that several agencies were not yet treating as imminent.

The third strand is domestic security. Federal and local officials are scrambling for counter-drone equipment at World Cup sites with three weeks before the 12 June opener in Inglewood, California, after a 76-day Homeland Security budget standoff that ended only on 30 April. New counter-UAS authorities passed last week are not yet fully in force, and several host cities are still negotiating with the Pentagon for temporary support; the gap, US officials concede, is the most acute domestic security exposure on the calendar this summer.

Sources

Lead Stories