Ukraine recaptures Stepnohirsk, key defensive village near Zaporizhzhia
Ukraine's military intelligence (HUR) announced on May 18 that its forces recaptured the village of Stepnohirsk in the Zaporizhzhia region, dislodging Russian troops who had held it since early 2025. The village's heights allow control of supply routes and threaten the southern outskirts of Zaporizhzhia city, about 20 km away. HUR warned Russia may try to retake the position.
Ukraine's military intelligence (HUR) announced on May 18 that its forces recaptured the village of Stepnohirsk in the Zaporizhzhia region, dislodging Russian troops who had claimed control of the settlement since early 2025.
The operation was carried out by the special unit Artan, part of HUR. Artan commander Viktor Torkotiouk said his men were sweeping the village for isolated Russian soldiers. HUR warned that Russian forces may try to retake the position.
Stepnohirsk is located about 20 km from Zaporizhzhia city. The village's heights allow shelling of the southern outskirts of Zaporizhzhia and drone control of surrounding logistics routes, as well as threatening the town of Orikhiv from the east.
Kyrylo Budanov, head of Ukraine's presidential administration, said Russian forces had tried to take Stepnohirsk for over a year at "colossal losses." Budanov praised the forces that "hold the lines" at Stepnohirsk, dismissing any threat to Zaporizhzhia city.
At least six people were killed and 34 wounded in Russian strikes across Ukraine in the 24 hours before May 18, Ukrainian authorities said. A Russian missile attack on Prylouky, Chernihiv region, on May 19 killed at least two people and wounded 17, including a 14-year-old child, according to regional governor Viatcheslav Tchaous.
Russia began three days of nuclear exercises on May 19, involving thousands of troops, the Russian defense ministry said. Belarus announced on May 18 a joint military exercise with Russia to train in handling nuclear weapons.
Ukraine struck the Slavneft-Yanos refinery in Yaroslavl region on May 19, a facility previously hit on May 13 and in late April, according to local governor Mikhail Ievraiev. The Russian defense ministry claimed to have intercepted 315 Ukrainian drones over several regions on May 19, including six over Moscow, as reported by Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
A Ukrainian drone entered Estonian airspace on May 19 and was shot down by a Romanian F-16 on NATO patrol. Estonian Defense Minister Hanno Pevkur said the drone was "most likely" Ukrainian, diverted by Russian jamming. Ukraine's foreign ministry spokesman Heorhii Tykhyi apologized to Estonia, saying Ukrainian institutions are cooperating to establish the exact circumstances.